What Are Unified Sports?
Here at Our Unified Schools, you may have heard us talk about Unified Sports. They’re big in Las Vegas and you can read past posts about Unified in Clark County here and here. We have some really exciting Unified Play coming up here in Northern California so we wanted to give everyone the low down on what Unified Sports actually are.
How Do Unified Sports Work?
- Students with and without intellectual disabilities are joined on the same sports team
- People of similar age and sporting ability are grouped into teams, making practices and games more challenging and exciting for all
What Difference Does Unified Sports Make?
- Promotes social inclusion through shared sports training and competition experiences
- Builds friendship and understanding between two groups who might not have much positive interaction
- The common ground of sports is just one more way that preconceptions and false ideas are swept away
- Fosters mutual respect thanks to the common ground of sports
To see more Unified Sports – how it works, how easy it is to implement, and the difference it’s making across the country, check out some of these videos!
We at Special Olympics Northern California are dedicated to expanding our Unified Sports program in Northern California. For more information and how you can get your school/district involved, please contact Schools at SONC.org.